Goodmayes public swimming pool plans are making residents ‘mad’
- Credit: Archant
A resident has said proposals for a new public swimming pool in Goodmayes are making people “mad and they are getting madder”.
Redbridge Council held a consultation on the plans at Mayfield School, in Pedley Road, last week, where the pool will be built.
The first images were released of the development, which contains a six lane pool and leisure centre.
Several of the teachers were positive about the plans, but Hywel Jones, 66, who lives on the adjacent Kinfauns Road, said people “are mad and they are getting madder”.
Mr Jones explained: “When Mayfield School was upgraded there was traffic going up and down Kinfauns Road day and night.
You may also want to watch:
“It ran over by many months and made lots of noise and left mud all over the road.”
Mr Jones added users arriving by car in the evening, and at weekends, would disturb the residents.
- 1 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 2 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 6 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 9 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
A council spokesman said: “We welcome the views of residents regarding this exciting new development.
“While we would expect any large development to cause some disruption we would work to ensure that plans were in place to try minimise this in order to account for the needs of motorists, the school’s students and staff, and local residents.”
The spokesman reiterated that the pool is a public facility and is not part of the school.
An application is to be submitted shortly and the proposal will now go through the official planning process. If successful the building intends to open in January 2018.