Doctor’s fear over closure of elderly dad’s Newbury Park care home
- Credit: Archant
A Wanstead doctor fears her elderly father’s severe dementia will deteriorate irrevocably when his NHS care home run by a private company closes in the coming weeks.
Gold Care Homes announced plans to shut Abbey Road Nursing Home in Newbury Park this month, and gave 28 days’ notice for its residents to be rehoused.
Twelve residents remain at the home, in Abbey Road, including the 84-year-old father of Great Ormond Street consultant paediatrician Jenefer Sargent.
She said Derek Sargent, a former civil engineer who has a condition known as Dementia with Lewy Bodies, which shares symptoms with Parkinson’s and Alzeimer’s, faced undergoing “a deterioration from which he may not fully recover” if he is moved.
She also said the rapport built with the staff at the home over the past seven years would be difficult to recreate.
You may also want to watch:
“There are many with whom he has built good relationships and they can coax meaning and intention out of his muddled words because they have looked after him for several years and know a little more of who he has been,” she said.
She feared the closure was a casualty of NHS outsourcing of elderly care to “private companies who seek to make a profit and then get out of the sector when they find it is not possible”.
- 1 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 2 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 5 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 6 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 7 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 8 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 9 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 10 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
The company’s director Ravi Gidar said: “We have managed Abbey Road Nursing Home for almost two years but the home needs substantial investment to be suitable for the residents in the area and it is with regret that we have decided to terminate our agreement with Viridian Housing so that they can review the future plans for the home.”