Doctor’s fear over closure of elderly dad’s Newbury Park care home
- Credit: Archant
A Wanstead doctor fears her elderly father’s severe dementia will deteriorate irrevocably when his NHS care home run by a private company closes in the coming weeks.
Gold Care Homes announced plans to shut Abbey Road Nursing Home in Newbury Park this month, and gave 28 days’ notice for its residents to be rehoused.
Twelve residents remain at the home, in Abbey Road, including the 84-year-old father of Great Ormond Street consultant paediatrician Jenefer Sargent.
She said Derek Sargent, a former civil engineer who has a condition known as Dementia with Lewy Bodies, which shares symptoms with Parkinson’s and Alzeimer’s, faced undergoing “a deterioration from which he may not fully recover” if he is moved.
She also said the rapport built with the staff at the home over the past seven years would be difficult to recreate.
You may also want to watch:
“There are many with whom he has built good relationships and they can coax meaning and intention out of his muddled words because they have looked after him for several years and know a little more of who he has been,” she said.
She feared the closure was a casualty of NHS outsourcing of elderly care to “private companies who seek to make a profit and then get out of the sector when they find it is not possible”.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
The company’s director Ravi Gidar said: “We have managed Abbey Road Nursing Home for almost two years but the home needs substantial investment to be suitable for the residents in the area and it is with regret that we have decided to terminate our agreement with Viridian Housing so that they can review the future plans for the home.”