Council will debate King George Hospital closure plans after petition draws 2,500 signatures
The future of King George Hospital’s A&E and maternity services will be debated by Redbridge Council after a petition drew 2,500 signatures.
It was confirmed yesterday that a motion calling on the council to oppose the planned closures of the two units at the hospital in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, will be heard on September 20.
The Save King George Hospital (SKGH) campaign group wants the council to write to the government seeking that the 2011 decision to close the units be withdrawn.
The services are set to be moved to Queen’s Hospital, Rom Valley Way, Romford.
Neil Zammett, a SKGH member, said plans for a 2014 transfer were revealed at a Joint Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting last month.
You may also want to watch:
On the campaign’s blog, Mr Zammett said Nick Hulme, a project manager at Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT), said there are also plans for a new building at Queen’s to “improve workflow in the [A&E] department”.
Mr Zammett said: “One of the key factors in approval for the scheme will be affordability; if it costs too much the closure of A&E at King George will be off the agenda for the foreseeable future.”
- 1 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 6 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 7 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 8 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 9 CCTV still issued of man sought in 'vicious and unprovoked' attack in broad daylight in Barkingside supermarket
- 10 Double murder arrest as dramatic footage shows police detaining woman
A BHRUT spokesman said today there are currently no dates for the transfer of any services between the two hospitals.
She said: “We are concentrating on continuing to improve care for our patients. “It has been made clear that no changes will be made until we, and our partners, are confident that we are providing the very highest quality care.
“We are looking at extending the A&E department at Queen’s, but this is still in the very early stages. “Plans would have to go through several approval processes before funding was released centrally.”
Cllr Andy Walker, who has campaigned against the transfer of services, said: “We need to lobby the secretary of state to review the decision because of recent developments.
“They want to put in a building at Queen’s that was never in the original plan, it’s going to cost large sums of money.
“Why do that when there’s a perfectly good hospital at King George?”
Mr Walker said he will also lobby the government and the council to support calls for a risk assessment of the transfer of services to be undertaken.
This has also previously been requested by Ilford MPs Mike Gapes and Lee Scott.
The council meeting will be held at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford.