Campaigners set to protest against King George Hospital A&E downgrade plans
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners are set to hold a protest in a bid to step up its efforts to “save” an A&E department.
The Save King George Hospital group met on Friday to discuss its next steps after the Recorder revealed that the initial planning for the downgrading of the A&E at King George Hospital would start in the next six to nine months.
The news came following an interview with Matthew Hopkins, the chief executive of BHRUT [Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospital Trust], who said the department would be downgraded to a 24-hour urgent care centre.
The demonstration against the decision is due to take place on Wednesday at 8.30pm in front of Queen’s Hospital in Rom Valley Way, Romford, where Mr Hopkins will be attending the trust’s next board meeting.
Newly-elected Ilford North MP Wes Streeting, who was also at the meeting, has made the A&E in Barley Lane, Goodmayes, a priority.
You may also want to watch:
He said at Friday’s meeting: “The end really is in site and we need to inject some urgency into the campaign and make this a new campaign because we’re fighting something that’s about to take place unless we stop it.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 5 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 6 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 7 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 9 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 10 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking