Cabinet member says talks for swimming pools in Redbridge are ‘well advanced’
- Credit: Archant
Cllr Dev Sharma (Lab, Newbury) confirmed that negotiations to provide swimming pools for the public in two Redbridge schools were “very well advanced”.
At the health, leisure and older people service committee, the cabinet member for civic pride said: “This is an exciting report where we can see things happening at last.”
Cllr Sharma said the funding shortfall for the project at Loxford School of Science and Technology, in Ilford, would be covered.
Sport England had indicated lottery funding of up to £150,000 could be available to renovate the school’s pool for public access.
Redbridge Council has already pledged £1.5m to this scheme, leaving an £80,000 shortfall.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Sharma announced: “The school have said that if the grant does not materialise, they would pay for the short fall.”
The council’s other scheme, to build a £4m public pool at Mayfield School, in Pedley Road, Goodmayes, is also progressing.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 5 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 10 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
Cllr Sharma said: “With Mayfield one of the problems was negotiations with the school and they are well advanced.”
He said the council was confident an agreement would be finalised with the school to make the pool available to the community.
The cabinet member also reiterated the possibility of an additional Ilford town centre pool, through lottery funding.
As the Recorder reported last week, Sport England will be backing Redbridge’s bid for funding for a leisure centre.
Mr Sharma added: “We have ambitions that there should be another facility in the rest of the borough as well, possibly Wanstead.”