Hate crime has risen by 29 percent in Redbridge, hears meeting
PUBLISHED: 13:31 14 October 2016 | UPDATED: 15:40 14 October 2016
A charity has warned that there is “no room for complacency” after hate crime offences rose by 29.6 percent in the borough, between July 2015 and July 2016.
Speaking last night at a hate crime meeting, David Landau, senior case worker at Redbridge Equalities and Community Council (RECC), said the promotion of advice and advocacy as well as community engagement is needed to tackle the issue.
“Many people think they are alone and don’t know what to do,” he said.
“Promotion of advice and advocacy is essential and speaking with schools and groups is essential.
“Building community solidarity is the way forward, we believe.”
London as a whole also saw a rise in hate crime of 18.7pc.
At the meeting, held at Redbridge Central Library, Clements Road, Ilford, Vaseem Ahmed, Muslim Engagement and Development (MEND) chairman said that people are more than numbers.
“Statistics are damning and the policy response from government has been lacklustre,” he said
“The impact is devastating.
“We need to encourage victims to report and offer alterative routes to report through third party reporting.”
Neil Lemon, community safety officer at the council said that funding had been cut but money was coming in for the Mayor of London.
“The mayor’s priorities are completely different from the old power, “ he said.
“He is tackling hate crime extremism and the funding arrangement is soon to be announced.”
For a full update of the meeting, pick up Thursday’s Ilford Recorder.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.