Search

Hamilton Road house fire caused by badly discarded cigarette

PUBLISHED: 14:35 24 July 2017 | UPDATED: 14:35 24 July 2017

Hamilton Avenue house fire (credit: London Fire Brigade)

Hamilton Avenue house fire (credit: London Fire Brigade)

London Fire Brigade

A discarded cigarette caused a bedroom to go up in smoke in Ilford last night.

Two fire engines attended the blaze at the mid terraced house, in Hamilton Road, Ilford, just after 5pm last night.

Fire and heat damage was contained to a ground floor bedroom and there was smoke damage to the rest of the ground floor.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said investigators believe the cause of the fire was the unsafe disposal of smoking materials.

He said: “If you’re a smoker it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”

Safety advice for smokers

• Make sure you have smoke alarms fitted in every room you regularly use in your home including in the hallways.

• Never smoke in bed.

• Always ensure you stub out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully.

• Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.

• Never leave lit cigarettes or cigars unattended.

• Empty ashtrays carefully, ensuring all smoking materials are stubbed out and cold.

• If you must smoke, do it outdoors.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder