Search

Hainault vandalised garage turned into six homes for Redbridge residents

PUBLISHED: 18:22 20 March 2018

Cllrs, contractors and residents celebrate the opening of new homes on Yellowpine Way in Hainault.  New  homeowner Heidi Mambuini. Picture: Ken Mears

Cllrs, contractors and residents celebrate the opening of new homes on Yellowpine Way in Hainault. New homeowner Heidi Mambuini. Picture: Ken Mears

Archant

A garage site in Hainault has been transformed into an affordable housing development with six new energy-efficient homes for families in the borough.

Cllr Jas Athwal hands over the keys to the property. Picture Ken Mears.Cllr Jas Athwal hands over the keys to the property. Picture Ken Mears.

Redbridge councillors, developers and residents gathered at Yellowpine Way, to celebrate the project today (Tuesday, March 20).

The site was previously vandalised and underused, but now in its place are two, new three-bedroom and four, two-bedroom houses.

The scheme was part-funded by the Mayor of London after 72per cent of the 8,335 people on the housing register said they needed family-sized accommodation.

Leader of the council, councillor Jas Athwal, said it was great to see the excitement on the faces of all the new tenants when they first arrived at their homes.

The new homes. Picture: Ken MearsThe new homes. Picture: Ken Mears

“We recognise that many of our residents need larger homes and it’s fantastic that we’ve been able to provide this new affordable housing development,” he said.

“This development has improved the local area for the whole community and will give these families modern, high-quality homes to raise their children in.

“Over the next few months, we will be completing more of these affordable housing developments to help us cater for families on the housing register.”

Three more developments are scheduled to be finished in the next few months and building work will begin in the summer for an additional five more sites.

The council also said more projects are in the pipeline and that is well on its way to delivering more than 171 new affordable council homes to the people of Redbridge.

Cabinet member for housing, councillor Farah Hussain and cabinet member for regeneration, property and planning, councillor Helen Coomb were also at the celebratory event.

Councillor Hussain, told the Recorder that she is delighted to open the new council homes and affordable houses is a big priority for the council.

“This is part of our council housing new build programme and we have many more properties due to be completed soon.

“It is one of our key priorities to increase the amount of council houses we have.

“I hope the families are happy in their new homes.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder