Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- Credit: Nicki Khan
A Hainault teenager has beaten hundreds of other dancers from across the UK to join a touring company.
Kalila Khan, 15, successfully gained a place as a Can You Dance? (CYD) Dance Star 2021, after she was selected from more than 700 applicants aged between eight to 18.
She was chosen by a panel of industry experts including dancers and choreographers from Strictly Come Dancing and Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway.
Kalila told the Recorder: "It’s an amazing opportunity to be a CYD dance star and represent CYD at their events, so I am so grateful to be a part of the company and excited for the regionals to start."
She will now tour the country and receive training from top dancers.
You may also want to watch:
All of CYD's events were cancelled last year but will start up again as soon as government guidelines allow.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 5 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
- 10 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash