Hainault murder: Man, 80, stabbed to death at home
An 80-year-old man has been stabbed to death in north-east London, police said today.
Albert Wright is thought to have been attacked on Friday evening at his home in Trelawney Road, Hainault, Redbridge.
Police were called by his son at 11.55pm after he found him on the floor, Scotland Yard said.
A post-mortem examination which took place yesterday confirmed that he died from multiple stab wounds.
A police spokesman said: “Detectives now believe that Albert had been out in his car on the day of his death and returned to his home at approximately 5.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
“Police also believe he may have been attacked between the hours of 6pm and 7pm as enquiries have uncovered that people heard a disturbance at the address during this time.”
Detective Chief Inspector John Macdonald said: “This was a really violent attack on an 80-year-old man at his home. It is not clear at the moment what the motive is. Nothing has been taken from the property and there is no evidence of a forced entry.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 8 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 9 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 10 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
“Bert was a popular resident of Hainault and there is nothing in his background to suggest why anyone would kill him. I would urge anyone who has information about who may have done this to come forward, it was a cowardly attack and whoever did it is not worth protecting.”
Anyone who can help the inquiry was asked to contact the investigation team in the incident room on 020 8345 3985, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
A 48-year-old man was arrested in connection with the death and has since been bailed until a date in March.