Hainault murder: Bid to trace final movements of victim, 80
POLICE are trying to trace the last movements of an 80-year-old Hainault man found stabbed to death at his home.
Albert Wright is thought to have been attacked on Friday evening at Trelawney Road. Police were called by his son at 11.55pm after he found him on the floor, Scotland Yard said.
A post-mortem examination which took place yesterday confirmed that he died from multiple stab wounds.
Det Insp Dermot Carroll, one of the officers on the inquiry, said: "This was a nasty attack on a frail old gentleman.
"We know he had gone out at one o'clock, in his car, that's the last time his son saw him.
You may also want to watch:
"He came back at about 5.30, so it would be useful for us to know where he had been that afternoon. He wasn't a member of any club or anything like that.
"And we know that between 6 and 7pm a loud noise was heard, like a banging noise, so we think something may have happened then."
- 1 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 3 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 4 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 5 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 6 Animals bite rubbish after wheelie bin delivery delay
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Six males detained after alleged brawl in Gants Hill
- 9 Crunch meeting fails to provide breakthrough in school sick pay dispute
- 10 Teen stabbed in Chadwell Heath
Det Chief Insp John Macdonald earlier said: “This was a really violent attack on an 80-year-old man at his home. It is not clear at the moment what the motive is. Nothing has been taken from the property and there is no evidence of a forced entry.
“Bert was a popular resident of Hainault and there is nothing in his background to suggest why anyone would kill him. I would urge anyone who has information about who may have done this to come forward, it was a cowardly attack and whoever did it is not worth protecting.”
Anyone who can help the inquiry was asked to contact the investigation team in the incident room on 020 8345 3985, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
A 48-year-old man was arrested in connection with the death and has since been bailed until a date in March.