Hainault Miss London contestant bidding for glory
- Credit: Archant
A 23-year-old Miss England hopeful is just two rounds away from winning the crown despite being “shot down” previously in the modelling world.
Jade Marks, 23, of Thurlow Gardens, Hainault, has juggled working a nine to five job as an office manager in Canary Wharf with competing for the prestigious pageant title this year.
And now she is desperately trying to get ready for the regional ICM Capital Miss London semi-finals at the end of this month.
She said: “My friends were saying I should go for it and I did not think I would go through - then I did.
“I have not done a beauty pageant before so I did it as joke and then I got through.”
You may also want to watch:
In the regional finals Miss Marks, like the other finalists, will be judged on three criteria – phone votes, the amount of money she raises for Miss World charity Beauty with a Purpose and how she performs on the night.
“I work nine to five – it has been a bit hectic,” added the former Hainault Forest Academy schoolgirl.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
“It has been stressful as I have left the fundraising up to the last minute. I should not have done that.”
Miss Marks feels she will fare better once she competes in the Miss London semi-finals proper, which is effectively the quarter-final stage for Miss England.
“I am confident,” she added. “I would say that a lot of the other girls are different from me.
“I am not from a great area [in Redbridge]. Success does not tend to happen to people from that area as we do not necessarily come from a wealthy background.”
However, she admitted she would be amazed if she actually won: “I would be too shocked.
“It would be really great - throughout my life I have tried to take a shot at modelling but I have always been shot down. It would be massive if I was to win.”