Hainault man misses eye op due to late post
Late post has resulted in a retired man missing an important eye operation.
Barry Howe, of Fencepiece Road, Hainault did not receive a letter scheduling his cataract operation until the day he should have been there.
The 63-year-old was contacted by the Queen’s Hospital, Rom Valley Way, Romford to ask why he hadn’t turned up for his operation.
They informed him he had missed his appointment at 9am on August 1 and had been removed from the waiting list.
He said: “The reason I wasn’t there was because I didn’t receive the letter until after I was supposed to be there. I am now back at the bottom of the list.
You may also want to watch:
“The problem has been going on for two months with post arriving at unpredictable and odd times including Sundays and 7pm in the evening.”
Mr Howe, who took early retirement for medical reasons from his job as a bus driver, has been waiting for 14 months for the operation.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 3 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 9 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 10 Plans for retail park development move step closer
He added: “It is so awkward and annoying. I have the condition in my left eye and I’ve nearly been run over in the past because of it.”
Royal Mail spokeswoman Sally Hopkins said: “We are concerned to hear of this resident’s experience but it is difficult to say what exactly happened to this item of mail without seeing it.
“All mail for delivery to households in Ilford is being delivered every day. If customers have any queries about their post, they should contact our customer service team on 08457 740 740 so that we can investigate.”