Hainault farmer cuts Olympic tent city bid to 6,000 people

A farmer has re-submitted plans for an Olympic campsite near Fairlop station after the council refused his original application for an 8,000-person tent city.

David Fowler, who was “frustrated” after officers rejected the scheme for his land in Forest Road, Hainault, has submitted a proposal for a 6,000-person site instead.

Mr Fowler said: “I am a little worried about how close we are to the Olympics but we have reduced the number of tents and have explained more about the logistics of how the site will work. I am hopeful that we can negotiate with the council and get a better result than last time.”

The original application, which was turned down on December 13, was not granted on the grounds the campsite would have a “serious and adverse” effect on residents and officers also said insufficient information had been supplied.

Mr Fowler, 47, whose family have farmed the land since 1892, said he estimated the site would bring in about �2million for borough businesses and services. The plans will include space for 3,000 tents, giant screens, food stalls and a marquee with a bar and entertainment.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter