Hainault ‘disaster chef’ in national cookery competition
A self-proclaimed disaster chef from Hainault has been selected to join Britain’s worst cooks in a national competition.
Tara Syed is completing culinary challenges over the next three months to become the most-improved cook.
The 35-year-old, of Manford Way, said her terrible cooking is a “running joke” in her family.
She once cooked a meal for friends that was so bad, they threw it out the window when her back was turned.
She said: “I tried to make my father’s special stuffed paratha but swapped some of the ingredients.
You may also want to watch:
“They didn’t tell me until months later.”
Tara said she tries to cook good meals but gets impatient and doesn’t understand flavour combinations.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 7 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 8 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 9 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 10 Parents of man with special educational needs slam council over his care
She added: “I’m good at things like cupcakes but when it comes to basic meals I have no idea how to put something together.
“I tend to burn things on the outside and leave them raw on the inside.”
Tara usually leaves the cooking to her boyfriend but hopes the competition will help her improve.
She said: “I’m determined to give it my all and see if I can learn something.”
Every week the 12 competitors are given a recipe to complete with the help of video tutorials.
Challenges so far have included sausage pie and Eton mess.
At the end of the 12-week competition, the most improved cook will be crowned the Kenwood Chef 2012 and win prizes worth over �4,000.
The competition will be judged by actress Emilia Fox and three prominent chefs, including Kenwood development chef Martin Johns.
He said: “We hope that, throughout this competition, we can help our finalists, and others following their progress online, learn new skills and find the confidence to create winning dishes in the kitchen.”
Contestants are blogging their culinary journeys at www.kenwoodworld.com/uk
The live final will be on September 29 in Havant.