Gunman jailed for 26 years for double shooting by Ilford playground

PUBLISHED: 16:49 30 June 2017

Joshan Addison, 22, of Thornton Avenue, Ilford (credit: Met Police)

Joshan Addison, 22, of Thornton Avenue, Ilford (credit: Met Police)

Met Police

A teenager known as “Little Monster” who blasted a shotgun into a children’s playground in an attempt to kill a rival has been jailed for 26 years.

Joshan Addison, 19, of Thornton Avenue, Ilford, was sentenced to 26 years’ imprisonment for attempted murder at Snaresbrook Crown Court this afternoon.

On August 8 last year Addison fired a shotgun at 22-year-old Rhys Bryan in Loxford Lane, with an 11-year-old child being caught in the crossfire.

Mr Bryan will suffer for the rest of his life, as surgeons have been unable to remove more than 60 metal shotgun pellets from his back for fear of causing more nerve damage.

Judge Nigel Peters QC said it was the duty of judges across the country to bring the full weight of the law to bear on the perpetrators of such crime.

He told the court: “This country and this capital have seen masses of knife and gun crime in recent times.

“We all know it is getting worse, and this court is dealing daily with people carrying knives – but what is becoming prevalent now is the use of firearms.

“And so the courts have to come down hard on anyone found using such weapons.”

Addison was also sentenced to 10 years for GBH and 20 years for possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life, but these sentences will be served concurrently.

“Anyone who arms themselves with such a lethal weapon must expect long periods of custody. There can be no alternative,” Judge Peters warned Addison before he passed sentence.

Co-defendants Jabir Mohammed, 22, of Cobham Road, and Ali Sheikh, 23, of Buttsbury Road, both Ilford, were both sentenced to 20 months’ imprisonment for helping Addison escape immediately after the shooting.

Mohammed had pleaded guilty, while a jury had convicted Sheikh.

As he jailed the pair, he rubbished claims they had put forward that they had been unaware of the seriousness of Addison’s crime.

He said: “There was panic; there was mayhem in Loxford Park.

“There were sirens everywhere and people were running for cover because this awful shooting had taken place.”

An Ilford teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was also handed a 24-month youth rehabilitation order after pleading guilty to helping Addison burn his clothes to try and destroy evidence.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder