Grass fire warnings in Redbridge
- Credit: sub
Firefighters have put out a warning about barbecues and leaving discarded bottles in parks after a number of grass fires in Redbridge over the weekend.
On Friday afternoon Ilford and Hainault crews joined firefighters and officers at a blaze in Wanstead Flats.
It saw an area of grass, firs and gorse – measuring nine hectares and the equivalent of nine football pitches – alight off Whipps Cross Road, in Leytonstone, at about 1.30pm.
Crews were called from Stratford, Walthamstow, Leyton, Homerton and Chingford.
On Saturday night at about 9.30pm crews were called to two sheds alight in Woodford Green.
You may also want to watch:
The blaze in two gardens in Waltham Road was “fairly significant” said Hainault firefighter Neil Herbert.
There were no injuries, but he added: “A resident said she saw a group of boys setting fireworks off nearby five minutes ago. We don’t know yet if the fire was suspicious or not.”
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 6 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 7 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 8 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 9 Wanstead rugby youngsters return to action with a win over rivals Woodford
- 10 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
On Sunday morning, at about 9.30am, Hainault firefighters attended a dry grass fire that set logs alight in Claybury Park, Clayhall.
Neil Herbert added: “With dry conditions over the weekend. If people are out and about in park areas, make sure if you are smoking a cigarette to properly extinguish it.
“If you have portable barbecues, take them with you. And if you have bottled drinks, dispose of them correctly, as broken glass can work like a magnifying glass and cause fire.”