Golden girl Hayley’s Euro Cup success
Redbridge Judo club’s Hayley Willis continued her fledgling career with a recent Cadet European cup victory.
The 15-year-old took part in the competition out in Teplice, Czech Republic, as part of a England squad, alongside clubmate Reece Sandy.
In her under-44kg category of 29 competitors, she had a 100 per cent success rate out of her five fights to pick up the gold medal.
Sandy, also 15, competed in the under-60kg category and looked on course to progress after winning his opening three fights in a group of 60 competitors.
But in his fourth fight, he was on the wrong end of a controversial decision to miss out on the semi-finals, and eventually finished ninth.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, 19-year-old Ronnie Plumb competed in Peterborough in the open weight category on Easter Sunday winning two fights by 10 points to take the gold medal.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 5 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
- 6 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 7 TV's Ben Shephard opens island themed playground at children’s hospice
- 8 Councillor's year-long running challenge ends with £1.2k foodbank donation
- 9 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
- 10 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park