Golden girl Hayley’s Euro Cup success
Redbridge Judo club’s Hayley Willis continued her fledgling career with a recent Cadet European cup victory.
The 15-year-old took part in the competition out in Teplice, Czech Republic, as part of a England squad, alongside clubmate Reece Sandy.
In her under-44kg category of 29 competitors, she had a 100 per cent success rate out of her five fights to pick up the gold medal.
Sandy, also 15, competed in the under-60kg category and looked on course to progress after winning his opening three fights in a group of 60 competitors.
But in his fourth fight, he was on the wrong end of a controversial decision to miss out on the semi-finals, and eventually finished ninth.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, 19-year-old Ronnie Plumb competed in Peterborough in the open weight category on Easter Sunday winning two fights by 10 points to take the gold medal.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 3 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation