Golden girl Hayley’s Euro Cup success
Redbridge Judo club’s Hayley Willis continued her fledgling career with a recent Cadet European cup victory.
The 15-year-old took part in the competition out in Teplice, Czech Republic, as part of a England squad, alongside clubmate Reece Sandy.
In her under-44kg category of 29 competitors, she had a 100 per cent success rate out of her five fights to pick up the gold medal.
Sandy, also 15, competed in the under-60kg category and looked on course to progress after winning his opening three fights in a group of 60 competitors.
But in his fourth fight, he was on the wrong end of a controversial decision to miss out on the semi-finals, and eventually finished ninth.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, 19-year-old Ronnie Plumb competed in Peterborough in the open weight category on Easter Sunday winning two fights by 10 points to take the gold medal.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 5 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 6 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 7 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 8 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 9 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 10 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London