Goals galore as Daggers smash five past Southend in Trophy victory

Chris Dickson opened his account for the Daggers with the fourth goal in their 5-2 win over Southend

Chris Dickson opened his account for the Daggers with the fourth goal in their 5-2 win over Southend United in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO - Credit: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Second Round, southern section: Southend United 2 Dagenham & Redbridge 5

A second half goalfest saw Daggers progress into the third round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy as they dumped out last season’s finalists Southend United 5-2 at Roots Hall.

Zavon Hines gave the visitors a half time lead, but six goals followed in the space of 14 frenetic second half minutes as the Daggers came out on top.

It was a bright start from the visitors as they spent much of the opening few minutes on the attack.

But the hosts worked their way into the match and Ben Coker fired just over from a 25-yard free-kick before Kevan Hurst saw a shot blocked by Daggers skipper Abu Ogogo.

You may also want to watch:

Having survived that spell the visitors went in front after 26 minutes when Rhys Murphy’s deflected ball in found Zavon Hines in the box and he headed past Paul Smith for his second goal in successive games.

But it was a slow start from Wayne Burnett’s side in the second half and after Connor Clifford saw an effort well saved from Seabright, half time substitute Cauley Woodrow found the net after 51 minutes following Ben Coker’s cross.

Most Read

He narrowly missed out on a second when hitting into the side netting but he make amends when tapping home two minutes later after Seabright could only parry Kevan Hurst’s initial effort and the Fulham loanee slotted home.

A Daggers side of the past may well have buckled after conceding but they levelled with 58 minutes on the clock when Matt Saunders’ free-kick from the right was headed home superbly by Brian Saah.

And in a strange turn of events, Burnett’s side found themselves in front two minutes later when Femi Ilesanmi’s ball in from the left was met by Hines at the back post who thundered the effort past Smith.

Things got even more bizarre as Southend self combusted at the back when Smith spilt Saah’s shot and Chris Dickson tapped in his first for the club.

It didn’t end there though as Smith’s game went from bad to worse as he couldn’t deal with a strong Prosser back pass and substitute Affy Obafemi was on hand to walk the ball into the net.

Daggers night did endon a sour note though as Gavin Hoyte was shown a straight red card for a late tackle on Ben Coker three minutes from time.

Southend United: Smith, White, Coker, Phillips, Prosser (Corr 89), Timlin, Reid (Woodrow 46), Straker (Atkinson 65), Hurst, Clifford, Payne

Unused substitutes: Bentley, Leonard.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Seabright, Ilesanmi, Wilkinson, Saah, Hoyte, Ogogo, Saunders, Elito, Hines (Bingham 81), Murphy (Obafemi 56), Dickson (Woodall 81)

Unused Substitutes: Lewington, Shields.

Attendance: 3,235 ( 416 Daggers fans)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter