Give us pay and display parking, say Clayhall business owners
Residents in Clayhall looking to pop into their local shops for a pint of milk, or fish and chips, will soon have to pay for parking.
A petition started by the owners of Londis, in Redbridge Lane East, asked the area four committee in Sinclair House, Woodford Bridge Road, Clayhall, last night, to introduce pay and display parking along High View Parade.
Containing 16 signatures from 15 businesses on Redbridge Lane East, Beehive Lane and Woodford Avenue, the petition complains of selfish business owners parking up to three cars outside the shops - leaving little room for customers.
The new scheme, which is set to be introduced in April, could include a 20 minute free period for drivers, as championed by Cllr Gurdial Bhamra (Lab, Clayhall) - though a 30p charge for 30 minutes is more likely, according to Cllr Keith Prince (Con, Barkingside).
“It’s difficult to monitor free periods, but we do 30p for 30 minutes in Barkingside and that’s worked well. In fact, I used it twice today myself,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Though not all businesses are happy with the decision, with Hugh Cope of Cranham Spinks Insurance Broker, in Redbridge Lane East, suggesting it could drive people away from the area.
He said: “The parking is so bad in this area and the effect of having a pay and display won’t make a difference. It will only drive people away, no one is going to pay 50p to park for a 40p bottle of milk.”
- 1 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 2 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 3 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 4 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 5 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 6 Thames Water says its drainage systems did not fail during flash floods
- 7 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 8 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
The estimated cost of introducing the pay and display is £7,000, with restrictions set to be in force Monday to Saturday from 8.30am to 5.30pm.