Girl Aloud star Nicola Roberts in Barkingside to visit charity
Pop singer Nicola Roberts visited Barkingside to be made honorary ambassador of charity Barnardo’s yesterday after being praised for giving “invaluable” support to the cause.
Chief executive Anne Marie Carie said the singer, made famous through chart topping group Girls Aloud, had well deserved the role, before handing her a framed certificate signed by the charity’s president the Duchess of Cornwall.
Miss Roberts toured the charity’s headquarters in Tanners Lane set up by Dr Thomas Barnardo, before seeing first-hand a children’s church and original cottages.
She said: “I’m a huge supporter of the charity and all of its work in helping the most disadvantaged children and young people and I feel extremely honoured to take on an ambassadorial role.
“I can’t wait to learn more about the work of the charity and to promote this worthwhile cause”.
You may also want to watch:
Chief executive Ms Carie said: “It was lovely to meet Nicola and to formally thank her for supporting the charity.
“Our celebrity ambassadors help us in so many ways from fundraising to awareness building and networking opportunities.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 8 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence