GCSE results: Headteacher of Mayfield School ‘delighted’ with best-ever results
The head teacher of Mayfield School in Pedley Road, Goodmayes, was “delighted” with its best-ever GCSE results today.
Five A*s to Cs were achieved by 68 per cent of pupils with 65 per cent gaining five A*s to Cs including English and Maths.
The latter was an improvement from 52 per cent last year and headteacher Andy Rehling was quick to praise students and staff today.
He said: “We’re very very happy, we’re delighted by that.
“It’s down to the incredible hard work of the staff and students and the commitment that they showed.”
You may also want to watch:
A group of six pupils – Nusheen Akhtar, Atiqur Rahman, Monica Nahou, Hardeep Sambi, Kiran Sanqha and Ruth Burr - achieved 10 A*s or As.
And Abda Kazemi, Marqam Rafiq, Rakisha Mansoor, Asha Ali and Reshma Ravikumar got eight A*s to As.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 3 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 4 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 5 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
Mr Rehling said the large majority of students will now stay at the school for their sixth-form studies.
Will the school improve its GCSE results again next year?
He said: “We’re always optimistic.
“We’ve improved year on year for about the last 10 years.
“This year everything came together and we’d like to maintain that.”