Gayle sets goal target
Dagenham & Redbridge striker Dwight Gayle wants to be the club’s leading man this season
Dwight Gayle is yet to open his Dagenham & Redbridge goal account, but the promising striker has set himself an ambitious target for the season.
The 21-year-old – who had been prolific at non-league level for Stansted and Bishop’s Stortford in the last two campaigns – kept Cheltenham stopper Scott Brown and Plymouth keeper Jake Cole busy in two accomplished appearances this week, as he looked instantly at home in the Football League.
However, the confident frontman left the field each time with the unusual feeling of no goal to his name and has vowed to make that a rarity.
“I’m hoping to get 15 league goals this season,” said Gayle.
You may also want to watch:
“I think that’s realistic if I keep playing.
“There are a lot of strikers for the gaffer to choose from. Each person can come in and do a job. You have to prove yourself when you’re out there to keep playing.”
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 7 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
To read more from Dwight Gayle pick up a copy of this week’s Barking & Dagenham Post or Ilford Recorder. Both out now.