Investigation into cause of fire at suspected Gants Hill cannabis factory
- Credit: Fahad Memon
The cause of a fire at a suspected cannabis factory in Gants Hill is under investigation.
Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were called to the incident at 2.49am last night (Wednesday, March 10) after a blaze had broken out inside a flat above a shop in Woodford Avenue.
Station Officer Steve McDermott, who was at the scene, said: “There were flames coming from the top of the roof as crews arrived at the scene.
“Firefighters faced challenging and smoky conditions inside the property as they worked swiftly to stop the fire from spreading to neighbouring flats and shops either side."
Half of the second floor of the building and half of the roof were damaged by the blaze, which was under control by 4.11am.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson from the Met added: "Police were called at approximately 5:30am on Thursday, March 11 by the London Fire Brigade following a fire at a residential property in Woodford Avenue, Gants Hill.
"It was reported that the property was being used for the production of cannabis. Officers have located the owner. Enquiries are underway. There have been no arrests."
- 1 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall
- 3 Redbridge pubs gear up for outdoor opening
- 4 Criticism of 'comedy of errors' consultation for Wanstead flat extension plans
- 5 Plans submitted for more than 500 homes on former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 6 Prince Philip death: Redbridge pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh
- 7 Plaistow man denies murdering two men in Goodmayes
- 8 Former Redbridge Council staffer charged with child sexual exploitation crimes in Australia
- 9 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 10 Man in hospital after being slashed multiple times in Wanstead
There were no reports of any injuries and London Fire Brigade confirmed the cause of the fire is under investigation.