Gants Hill fire was ‘an accident’
An inferno which forced a couple to jump from the window of their second floor flat is not being treated as suspicious.
The fire, which ripped through a flat above an estate agents in Woodford Avenue, Gants Hill, on August 3, was accidental, says London Fire Brigade.
Two occupants, including one who was hospitalised with spinal injuries following her dramatic window leap, are being offered a storage room and boxes for any items which they were able to retrieve.
Six fire engines carrying 30 firefighters were required to put out the fire which hit the flat just after 10pm.
Kind-hearted staff at Big Yellow Self Storage in Eastern Avenue, Gants Hill, have offered the couple a room, despite the company already having used up its charity budget.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant manager Charlotte Mier said: “We couldn’t believe it when we saw the dramatic pictures in last week’s Recorder.
“We looked into our charity budget, but sadly realised we’d used it all up.
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 6 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 7 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 8 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
- 9 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
“However, we were able to work out the couple getting a free storage room and boxes.”
The store has already helped a family made homeless through fire this year.
After the blaze, the partner of the woman, understood to still be in hospital this week recovering from spinal injuries, said: “Fortunately, we are both alive, which is most important, but I would like to give out my personal thank you for all the attempts by the community.
“Unfortunately, me and my wife could not receive the help in time, but at least everyone else was safe.
“We are both in recovery and are just grateful that Allah has saved us in this holy month even when the fall was a nasty one.”
The occupants of the flat can call 020 518 4552 to get in touch with the company.