Gangnam Style dancing and bag packing at South Woodford supermarket helps firefighters’ charity
“Gangnam Style” dancing, bag packing and competitions are helping raise money for a charity which supports firefighters and their families.
Sainsbury’s, George Lane, South Woodford chose the Fire Fighters Charity to receive any money they raise this year.
Fiona O’Leary, store manager, said: “I don’t think people know about the charity, people think that as firefighters risk their lives there’s a fund to help them when things go wrong, but there isn’t.”
Since June the supermarket has raised �1,250 through doing competitions and having the firefighters in to pack plastic bags with customers making donations.
Mrs O’Leary said: “We have different activities in store, managers are being sponsored to learn the gangnam style dance and perform for their colleagues.”
You may also want to watch:
The cheque was presented to firefighters at Woodford Fire Station, Snakes Lane East, Woodford Green on Friday.
Steve Brown, borough fire commander, said: “The store’s continued support and their fun approach to fund raising has been fantastic and I would like to thank all the members of the public who have very generously contributed to the charity.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 10 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers