Gallery: Youngsters enjoy planting seeds at new Loxford allotment
- Credit: Archant
Green-fingered youngsters now have their own allotment to tend - thanks to a community project.
Children from the Metro Kids Club, led by volunteers from the City Gates Christian Centre, planted their first seeds on Saturday.
They will not only get active by digging, planting and potting, but they will also learn about how things grow.
Allotment manager Dean Ledger said: “We’ve planted a whole range of fruit and vegetables and will make sure we take good care of them over the coming weeks and months.
“We’re looking forward to them getting to taste our produce and maybe even making our own soups and jams! There’s just so much potential.”
You may also want to watch:
The children also enjoyed painting the raised beds and putting up bunting, windmills and wind catchers.
The club, for six to 14 year olds, runs every Saturday from 10am to midday at the Loxford Youth Centre, in Loxford Lane, Ilford.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 8 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
It is on a break now, but will return on June 28.
For more information, call the Christian centre on 020 8514 0188.
Take a look at more pictures in our gallery on the top right.