Gallery: Organic growers take top titles at Ilford Horticultural Society show
- Credit: Archant
Everything from tomatoes and pumpkins to beans and marrows were on display last weekend as the Ilford Horticultural Society hosted their annual autumn show.
There were also home made cakes and jams for visitors to enjoy as well as stunning floral displays at the popular event, which was held at Valentines Park in Ilford.
This year also marked the 70th anniversary of the Society, which was set-up during the Second World War.
Winning entries from society members and the public were hand-picked by judges from the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) and the National Association of Flower Arrangement Societies (NAFAS).
Winner of the overall competition was Peter Knight, 73, of Abbey Road, Ilford, who was awarded first place with his collection potatoes, apples, and runner beans.
You may also want to watch:
More than 500 visitors turned out for the event on Sunday, including staff from John Branstrom Primary, in Hainault.
Pupils from the school won awards in the under sixteen’s flower displays category.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 10 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
Meetings for the society are held once a month at Fullwell Cross Library, High Street, Ilford.
Call 02085504790 for more information.