Gallery: Maypole dancers and musicians entertain residents at Valentines Mansion May fair
- Credit: Archant
Maypole dancing, musical performances and a variety of stalls were all on offer at an annual event.
Valentines Mansion hosted its May fair on Saturday, attracting several hundred guests, including Redbridge’s mayor, Cllr Felicity Banks, and Mike Gapes, MP for Ilford South.
The event was organised by the Friends of Valentines Mansion and all of the proceeds will go towards the preservation of the house.
Chairman Barbara Norcaro said: “Everyone seemed to enjoy it; the music was great and a lot of the stallholders said they would love to come back another time. We have also taken a little more money than last year.”
A key feature of the day, run with help from Valentines High School pupils, was musical entertainment. Performances were staged by Fairlop Brass Band, the recorder group from Redbridge Music School, Redbridge Music Lounge and the Dhol Drummers Academy of Newbury Park.
You may also want to watch:
Barbara said: “This was the first time we had the dhol drummers and they were fantastic, we will have to ask them back next year.”
The weather held up until after the maypole dancers from St Margaret’s Church had performed.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 8 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 9 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
“They were lovely,” said Barbara.
The total sum of money is still being finalised, but when it is members of the group will liaise with the manager of the mansion to decide how to spend it.
See our picture gallery on the top right of this page.