Gallery: Barkingside school celebrates Hindu festival with a procession
- Credit: Archant
A procession of devotees pulling a chariot alongside staff and pupils of a Barkingside school marked Ratha Yatra festival in the borough.
Avanti Court, in Carlton Drive, a Hindu school, celebrated the chariot festival last week for the second year running with a procession along the street where there was singing, chanting and dancing to rhythmical drums and cymbals.
The walk ended with a celebration in the school’s newly formed Temple Room.
Pupils engaged in Ratha Yatra activities such as carving of fruits to place as offerings to the deities and Indian classical dancing Bharatnatyam performed by pupils in Year 1 and Year 2.
Mayor of Redbridge, Ashley Kissin, attended the event.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Going into the school it brought back memories because two of my own children attended Ilford Jewish Primary - which used to be on the same site - in the late 1970s.
“I thoroughly enjoyed the event - there was some dancing which was brilliant considering they were very young children.”
- 1 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 2 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 3 16-year-old arrested after woman reports sexual assault in South Woodford
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 6 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 7 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 10 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals