Forward march for Woodford as props show their power
Woodford under-16s overcame Dagenham at the weekend to advance to the second round of the Essex Cup.
Dagenham 6 Woodford 17
WOODFORD under-16’s A side earned their place in the second round of the Essex Cup after defeating Dagenham at the weekend.
Billy Herring converted an early penalty for Dagenham but the visitors began to take control of the game, with prop Ian Bukenya crashing over for his first try of the season.
Scrum-half Dutch then broke through the Dagenham defence to race over, and following his conversion they took a 12-3 lead into half time.
You may also want to watch:
But Dagenham would not give up easily and reduced the deficit with another Herring penalty.
In a nailbiting finish Woodford secured their second round spot as prop Brad Burrell crashed over after some good pressure from the visitors forwards.
- 1 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 2 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 3 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 4 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 5 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 6 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 7 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
- 8 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 9 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
Woodford go on to play Wesrcliff in the next round, in what will be a repeat of last season’s final.
Meanwhile, Woodford B’s were able to overcome Barnet 24-7 in a friendly.
Despite early pressure from Barnet, the B’s outdid Barnet by four tries to one, courtesy of Oliver Jones, Ellis Foot, Ellis Shore and Alex Storrie, with Harry Gahagan converting two.