Former councillor predicts “traffic mayhem” with new Woodford bus stop
A former councillor is predicting “traffic mayhem” when a new bus stop comes into use in South Woodford.
The stop has been built in Chigwell Road, near The White Hart pub, to replace the former stops in a lay-by at the junction with Manor Road.
Morris Hickey, a former Redbridge councillor, said: “It will cause traffic mayhem at some times of the day, if not all times. It’s going to hold up all the eastbound traffic, it’s outrageous. They should leave it where it is and make that slip road into a bus lane.”
James Sutherland-Thomas, regional manager for London buses infrastructure at Transport for London (TfL), said the move aims to speed up services.
He said: “The decision followed concerns from bus drivers that the narrowness of the road, combined with badly parked vehicles, was delaying bus services for local residents.
You may also want to watch:
“TfL consulted local police and Redbridge Council who both supported the move of the bus stop to Chigwell Road, ensuring routes W14 and 275 could operate without unnecessary delays.”
The disused stops will be used as free parking spaces.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 3 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation