Forget London, Paris and Milan, wandering photographer brings ‘picturesque’ Wanstead to life
- Credit: Archant
When wandering through leafy Wanstead one day it occurred to Geoff Wilkinson that more should be done to highlight the area’s beauty.
Geoff has been a professional photographer for 40 years and now owns his own photography studio EightyFour on Nightingale Lane, Wanstead.
Two years ago, after discovering popular online daily photo blogs dedicated to some of the world’s most famous cities including London, Paris and Milan, he decided it was time for Wanstead to join the club.
“I’d seen Paris Daily Photo and London Daily Photo and so on and I just thought ‘why not have a Wanstead Daily Photo?’” said Geoff.
“We live in such a picturesque area why not celebrate it.”
You may also want to watch:
So he did, and set up a Wanstead Daily Photo blog which quickly grew in popularity and has received more than 50,000 hits since its creation.
The site has got so much attention that Geoff has decided to continue it indefinitely after only planning to run it for 12 months.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 5 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 6 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 7 Five veggie-friendly restaurants in Redbridge, courtesy of TripAdvisor
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
“I’ve been doing it for 18 months and I’ve had so much positive feedback that I can’t stop now,” he said.
Geoff has worked all over the world in a variety of capacities as a photographer, from covering conflicts around the globe to food produce in the UK and photographing wildlife in Africa.
But when he set up his gallery on Nightingale Lane he felt he needed something new and showcasing Wanstead through his work fits the bill.
“After opening EightyFour I haven’t been travelling anywhere near as much and I love the area of Wanstead so it’s a new challenge for me,” he said.
“There is no doubt about it, Wanstead is a unique place to live.
“It has managed to retain a sort of village atmosphere and a traditional high street with local butchers and greengrocers, for example.
“And when you add to that the green spaces we have it sometimes doesn’t feel like you’re in London, you feel detached from the bustle of the city but somehow still connected.”
The images on these pages have been handpicked by Geoff as his favourites from his blog.
n If you want to check out more of what Wanstead has to offer head over to wansteaddailyphoto.blogspot.co.uk/