Search

Five people evacuated after fire in Ilford flats caused by unattended candle

PUBLISHED: 17:59 04 April 2013 | UPDATED: 12:13 19 April 2013

Residents in an Ilford block of flats, were ”quite lucky” a fire caused by an unattended candle did not become more serious this afternoon, according to a fire fighter.

Five people had to be evacuated from the flats in Empress Avenue shortly after midday after the fire started in a ground floor flat.

No-one was in the flat where the candle had been left and the fire had been smouldering for “some time”, according to Martin Knight, the watch manager at Ilford fire station.

He added that there was a lot of smoke in the flat but firefighters were able to get the fire quickly under control.

Mr Knight said: “The residents were quite lucky it never picked up and became more serious.”

No-one had to be treated as a result of the fire.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder