Five people evacuated after fire in Ilford flats caused by unattended candle
Residents in an Ilford block of flats, were ”quite lucky” a fire caused by an unattended candle did not become more serious this afternoon, according to a fire fighter.
Five people had to be evacuated from the flats in Empress Avenue shortly after midday after the fire started in a ground floor flat.
No-one was in the flat where the candle had been left and the fire had been smouldering for “some time”, according to Martin Knight, the watch manager at Ilford fire station.
He added that there was a lot of smoke in the flat but firefighters were able to get the fire quickly under control.
Mr Knight said: “The residents were quite lucky it never picked up and became more serious.”
You may also want to watch:
No-one had to be treated as a result of the fire.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 5 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 6 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 7 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 8 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 9 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 10 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School