Five evacuated after fire at Chinese takeaway in Belvedere
Five people were evacuated from a flat above a Chinese takeaway restaurant in the early hours of this morning after a fire broke out in the shop below.
Firefighters were called at about 1am to China Garden, Albert Road, Belvedere.
The people in the flat, who all work in the restaurant below, did not realise the building was on fire until they were woken by the two fire engines turning up.
Officers were about to break the door down when a woman in the flat realised what was going on and threw down the door keys.
The fire was extinguished in a matter of minutes and the residents were treated for smoke inhalation.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire in under investigation.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 3 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 8 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 9 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 10 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman