Firefighters battle derelict house blaze in Hainault Forest Country Park
Firefighters have issued a stark warning after arsonists struck at a derelict house for the third time in a week.
Crews from Hainault, Ilford and Redbridge tackled the blaze at the building, near Romford Road, Hainault, last night (Monday) at 6.30pm.
Large flames destroyed an upper floor and much of the roof of the unsafe house, leading to fears that the two-storey building could collapse. It is one of two ramshackle, unoccupied buildings within the country park that have repeatedly fallen victim to arsonists.
A firefighter who was at the scene of the fire said: “These houses are unsafe structures and we have been there three times this week.
“People are going into the houses and starting fires. If they people keep doing it they are going to hurt themselves and the houses are getting so damaged that we may not be able to get them to get anybody out.”
You may also want to watch:
Crews called in a borough surveyor late last night who declared the scene of the fire unsafe.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 4 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 9 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 10 Plans for retail park development move step closer