Firefighters battle derelict house blaze in Hainault Forest Country Park
Firefighters have issued a stark warning after arsonists struck at a derelict house for the third time in a week.
Crews from Hainault, Ilford and Redbridge tackled the blaze at the building, near Romford Road, Hainault, last night (Monday) at 6.30pm.
Large flames destroyed an upper floor and much of the roof of the unsafe house, leading to fears that the two-storey building could collapse. It is one of two ramshackle, unoccupied buildings within the country park that have repeatedly fallen victim to arsonists.
A firefighter who was at the scene of the fire said: “These houses are unsafe structures and we have been there three times this week.
“People are going into the houses and starting fires. If they people keep doing it they are going to hurt themselves and the houses are getting so damaged that we may not be able to get them to get anybody out.”
You may also want to watch:
Crews called in a borough surveyor late last night who declared the scene of the fire unsafe.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 2 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 3 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 4 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 5 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 6 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge
- 9 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 10 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development