Fire in Woodford Green flat block sparks early morning evacuation
A high rise block of flats in Woodford Green was evacuated when a fire broke out in the early hours of this morning.
The blaze started in an electrical cupboard on the sixth floor of the block in The Bridle Path shortly before 5am.
Six fire engines and 35 firefighters managed to contain the flames and no one was injured.
Woodford station watch manager Daren Horrigan, who was at the scene, said: “Firefighters quickly contained the fire and stopped it from spreading to surrounding flats.
“Seven people from flats on the same floor were evacuated as a precaution.
You may also want to watch:
“All other residents stayed inside their flats, which was much safer than attempting to escape which could have been risky due to the smoke and firefighting equipment.”
He praised families for not panicking and urged people to have an evacuation plan for similar situations.
- 1 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 2 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 3 16-year-old arrested after woman reports sexual assault in South Woodford
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 6 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 9 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 10 'Urgent' project to protect historic grotto gets approval
The brigade recently launched a campaign called Know the Plan designed to improve awareness of fire safety for the residents of high rise buildings and to encourage landlords and housing providers to act on their fire safety responsibilities.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.