Fire crews tackle South Woodford blaze
More than 30 firefighters battled a blaze in a disused office building last night.
Crews were called to the fire, next to the Dairy Crest site on Chigwell Road, South Woodford, at 8pm yesterday and it took them more than two hours to get the flames under control.
Parts of the first floor and roof of the building were destroyed, and efforts by the brigade stopped flames spreading to the rest of the building.
A watch manager from Hainault fire station, who was at the scene until midnight, said: “The fire destroyed an office of about 30m by 10m, and the main fire was in the roof, which was really alight.
“It took about four hours to put out the flames completely and some crews were there during the night.”
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Leytonstone, Leyton, Woodford and Walthamstow stations were in attendance and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest