Fire chief warns of smoking danger on No Smoking Day
A fire chief has issued a warning over the dangers posed by smoking at home.
Figures released to coincide with National No Smoking Day that was yesterday (Wednesday) show that nine people in Redbridge have been injured in blazes caused by lit cigarettes or other smoking materials since 2006.
According to the London Fire Brigade, one in three deaths in accidental house fires is caused by cigarettes.
Assistant Commissioner Dave Brown said: “If you are a smoker it is absolutely vital that you make sure you cigarette is completely out when you have finished it.
“If you don’t you are at risk of starting a fire that could destroy not only your home, but your life and the lives of your loved ones.”
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters from Ilford Fire Station, in High Road, Ilford, can provide a home fire safety check and help to fit smoke alarms to homes.
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 4 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 8 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
- 9 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 10 Former Homebase development plans approved