Fire chief warns of smoking danger on No Smoking Day

A fire chief has issued a warning over the dangers posed by smoking at home.

Figures released to coincide with National No Smoking Day that was yesterday (Wednesday) show that nine people in Redbridge have been injured in blazes caused by lit cigarettes or other smoking materials since 2006.

According to the London Fire Brigade, one in three deaths in accidental house fires is caused by cigarettes.

Assistant Commissioner Dave Brown said: “If you are a smoker it is absolutely vital that you make sure you cigarette is completely out when you have finished it.

“If you don’t you are at risk of starting a fire that could destroy not only your home, but your life and the lives of your loved ones.”


You may also want to watch:


Firefighters from Ilford Fire Station, in High Road, Ilford, can provide a home fire safety check and help to fit smoke alarms to homes.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter