Fire at Ilford shop undergoing refurbishment
Firefighters successfully tackled a blaze last night at a shop in Green Lane, Ilford, which was undergoing refurbishment.
Crews from Ilford, Barking and Dagenham were called to the scene at a ground-floor shop, below two flats, at 9.46pm.
Three people had left the building before the arrival of the fire brigade and nobody else was evacuated or injured.
The fire is believed to have started on the ground floor where it was contained from spreading from a rear kitchen.
Ilford crew manager Phil Jones said alterations to the building made it awkward to initially locate the fire.
You may also want to watch:
The crews were at the scene until shortly after midnight.
Half the ground floor was damaged with smoke damage to the first floor flats.
- 1 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 2 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 3 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 4 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 7 NHS pilot to end blood test services at two Redbridge sites
- 8 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 9 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 10 Council leader hails 'affordable' housing development in Wanstead
There were no smoke alarms fitted in the building and the cause is still under investigation.