Fire at Ilford shop undergoing refurbishment
Firefighters successfully tackled a blaze last night at a shop in Green Lane, Ilford, which was undergoing refurbishment.
Crews from Ilford, Barking and Dagenham were called to the scene at a ground-floor shop, below two flats, at 9.46pm.
Three people had left the building before the arrival of the fire brigade and nobody else was evacuated or injured.
The fire is believed to have started on the ground floor where it was contained from spreading from a rear kitchen.
Ilford crew manager Phil Jones said alterations to the building made it awkward to initially locate the fire.
You may also want to watch:
The crews were at the scene until shortly after midnight.
Half the ground floor was damaged with smoke damage to the first floor flats.
- 1 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 2 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 16-year-old arrested after woman reports sexual assault in South Woodford
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 Hainault community garden gets £85k for 'ecotherapy' scheme
There were no smoke alarms fitted in the building and the cause is still under investigation.