Fight against knife crime launched in Redbridge
A new drama production was showcased yesterday in a drive to warn young people of the dangers of carrying knives and alcohol abuse.
Pupils from various schools in the borough were treated to a 40 minute performance at Redbridge Drama Centre, Churchfields, South Woodford.
The play will tour around seven year nine classes as well as the Constance Bridgeman Pupil Referral Centre and Redbridge Tuition Centre until April 8.
It has been set up by Redbridge Council Targeted Youth Support Service, which works with vulnerable young people at risk of offending, and the Met Police’s Safer Schools Partnership.
Entitled Choice of a Lifetime, the play shows flashbacks in the life of schoolboy Justin, played by Daniel King of High Road, South Woodford, who gets involved with the wrong crowd and ends up stabbing fellow pupil Frank, played by Nicholas Blackman, in a fight.
Young people can show their support for the initiative by wearing a wristband which will be handed out and says No Knives, Better Lives.
This is also the name of a Facebook page set up to give an insight into the production and also provides interviews with the actors and writer Michael Woodwood.
- 1 Arrest made after man falls from height during forced entry incident
- 2 Judicial review could 'stop GP surgery privatisation'
- 3 Keith Prince to keep fighting as plans to develop former Homebase inch closer
- 4 Updated number of unvaccinated King George and Queen's hospital staff revealed as deadline looms
- 5 Man attacked with machete before falling from height in Wanstead
- 6 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 7 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 8 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 10 Woodford Green teen to play at orchestral concert
If you know someone who has a knife text Crimestoppers anonymously on 88551. Texts are charged at your standard network rate.