Family who escaped Barkingside flat fire moved to Edmonton by council

PUBLISHED: 07:50 08 July 2013

Chloe Eldred (right) and her mum Kay Upton (left) holding Chloe's six-month-old son Freddie

Chloe Eldred (right) and her mum Kay Upton (left) holding Chloe's six-month-old son Freddie


A family made homeless by a flat fire have been placed in temporary accommodation in Edmonton by Redbridge Council while their home is repaired.

The kitchen after the fireThe kitchen after the fire

Chloe Eldred, 19, was alone with her six-month- old baby Freddie in the flat, in Cranbrook Road, Barkingside, when the blaze started on Wednesday of last week.

She had left toast under the grill while checking on Freddie, who was crying, when she smelt smoke.

The cooker “exploded” and the flat was severely damaged by fire.

She and boyfriend Elliott Bristow have now been put into temporary accommodation with Freddie until the flat is repaired by the council.

But the shared house in Edmonton, north London, is far from the couple’s friends and family.

Elliott said: “They said we could be here for six weeks but it’s a bit crowded.

“We’re all in one room but what else can we do? At least we’re all together.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder