Families enjoy kayaking, sailing and bouldering at Fairlop Waters open day in Barkingside
- Credit: Archant
Families enjoyed the sunshine on land and water on Saturday.
Fairlop Waters Country Park, Forest Road, Barkingside held a free open day to showcase its new fitness classes being introduced next month, and highlight other outdoor fun which already take place.
Activities included boxercise, bootcamp, buggy fitness, running and Nordic walking, as well as kayaking, sailing and bouldering.
Fairlop activator Emily Evans said: “It was a really good turnout and there seemed to be a nice buzz of people.
“The sun was out and everyone seemed to have a really good time.
You may also want to watch:
“We were really lucky with the weather.”
“The paddle sports were really busy and bouldering took off as well.”
- 1 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 4 Police and council join forces to help raise Covid awareness
- 5 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 6 Council must pay £4,500 for failing disabled brothers
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 CCTV still issued of man sought in 'vicious and unprovoked' attack in broad daylight in Barkingside supermarket
- 9 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
- 10 Welcome to Chadwell Heath Spartans, a true family football club
The new venture is a result of a three-year funding deal between Vision, the Redbridge Council’s leisure provider which runs the park, and Sport England.
It aims to offer something to people who don’t enjoy exercising in the gym, with activities for people of all fitness levels and ability.
Emily said: “We had a gentleman say ‘thank you so much for organising the event, I wouldn’t have known that this happened in the park if I hadn’t come down’.”
The new weekly pay as you go classes in the park will start in April.
There will be learn to sail and kayak courses happening at the outdoor centre for all ages and abilities, and a learn to boulder course in the summer.
For more details go to redbridge.gov.uk