Excited children meet favourite author at Woodford Green bookshop launch
- Credit: Archant
Excited children queued “out the door” of a Woodford Green bookshop to meet one of their favourite authors on Saturday.
Andy Stanton, who wrote the Mr Gum series, was the special guest at a launch party for the Village Bookshop, in High Road.
It has been refurbished by new owner Saba Rais, who invited Mr Stanton after meeting him at a writing workshop.
She said: “It was so much fun. I was worried that people wouldn’t turn up but there were queues of children out the door and down the street.
“It was really exciting for me to see children getting so excited about books and reading.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a completely different buzz from what they get playing on a tablet or computer game.”
Saba is starting a reading club, children’s groups and storytime events with Redbridge College drama students at the shop.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines