Valentines Park playground closed to youngsters because of overrunning improvement works
PUBLISHED: 13:28 05 June 2013 | UPDATED: 13:28 05 June 2013
It has been perfect weather for playing in the sunshine this week but an Ilford playground has been closed to youngsters because of overrunning building work.
The renovated under-eights play area in Valentines Park, Cranbrook Road, was due to be officially opened last week but was unfinished because a piece of equipment had not been delivered.
Parts of the playground are now fenced off as contractors continue to work installing new facilities.
Toys and climbing frames including a miniature Noah’s Ark, phone box talk tubes and a springy tortoise are planned.
Work started on the park earlier this year after Redbridge Council’s leisure operator Vision said the existing park was “coming to the end of its life”.
Some play equipment over 30 years old was falling into disrepair and some toys were shut off because of safety concerns.
In August, Gants Hill mum Cheryl Firouzman called for urgent improvements after her three-year-old daughter Sarah broke her wrist.
Mrs Firouzman said she slipped on steps to a slide and fell after trying to grab a “rotting wooden bannister”.
A council spokesman said the opening of the park is now planned for June 13.
She added: “The other play area in Valentines Park and the swings can be used by children of any age.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.