Search

Firefighters battle blaze in Ilford restaurant caused by unattended candle

PUBLISHED: 12:04 12 February 2020 | UPDATED: 12:17 12 February 2020

Firefighters were called to a fire in an Ilford restaurant after 1am this morning. Picture: Google Maps

Firefighters were called to a fire in an Ilford restaurant after 1am this morning. Picture: Google Maps

Archant

Firefighters were called to a restaurant on fire in the early hours this morning in Ilford.

Part of the restaurant in Green Lane was damaged by the blaze which began at 1.19am today (February 2).

There were no injuries in the fire which was believed to be caused by an unattended candle.

You may also want to watch:

The London Fire Brigade (LFB)'s Investigation team believe the fire was caused by an unattended candle on a windowsill, which caught light to a wooden blind.

Around 20 people left first and second floor flats above the restaurant before the brigade arrived.

A spokesman for the LFB said: "It is very important to keep candles away from materials that might catch fire like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.

"Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before going to bed.

"We strongly recommend replacing wax candles with flameless candles as they are safer to use."


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder