Travellers move into Hainault Recreation Ground - council assessing children’s ‘welfare’
PUBLISHED: 15:22 26 March 2014 | UPDATED: 10:58 27 March 2014
A group of travellers have moved into Hainault Recreation Ground.
About 11 caravans reportedly appeared at 8pm last night and police are at the scene.
A witness said five police cars were in the park this afternoon and officers were knocking on caravan doors.
The appearance this morning prompted the closure of all parks in Redbridge to vehicles.
A statement on the Redbridge Council website said officers were visiting the park in Forest Road, Hainault.
It added: “The situation at Hainault Recreation Ground is being assessed, as is the welfare of the travellers and safety of their children.
“We are working with partners to resolve the situation as soon as possible.
“Vehicle access to parks has been temporarily suspended. There is still pedestrian access to all parks.
“We apologise for the inconvenience.”
The travellers had reportedly been moved on from the car park of Woodcraft kitchens in Eastern Avenue, Chadwell Heath, earlier on Tuesday evening.
A resident, who did not want to be named, said: “They had been in the car park since around 10pm on Sunday night and left behind a pile of rubbish.”
Did you see the travellers? Call 0208 477 3821 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.