Elizabeth, 103, escorted by police to Barkingside for dream meeting with Queen
- Credit: Archant
It was a dream come true for an 103-year-old woman who got to meet the Queen after police officers brought her from home for the occasion.
Elizabeth Warwick finds it difficult to get out of her flat in nearby Peace House and thought she would have to miss the visit.
But thanks to a neighbour’s lucky meeting with police officers, she was given a very special escort.
She was put in prime position to meet the Queen on her walkabout after she left the building.
Mrs Warwick said it was “wonderful” to meet her namesake, who she presented with a bunch of flowers.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I was saying in the morning how I would love to come but there was no way I could get here.
“But suddenly I had this invitation from the police and I couldn’t believe it.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 4 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 5 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 6 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 9 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 10 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
“When I was wheeled in, people were looking at me thinking I was someone special.
“It’s been such a lovely day.”
Life-long royal fan Mrs Warwick has a picture of the Queen on her wall and received a telegram on her 100th birthday.
She said she had only ever caught a glimpse of the Royal when she was a young girl and thought she would never see her.
Neighbour Pat Brace had bumped into Redbridge Police Supt Ellie O’Connor while officers were doing security checks in Barkingside earlier in the day.
After hearing how she had no way of getting Mrs Warwick to the royal visit, Mrs O’Connor sent around a team of police to escort her.
Pc Sacha Laurie said: “We were glad to help, she was so excited. It’s great to see her here.”