Elderly woman rescued from cooker fire in Barkingside
An elderly woman was rescued from a fire at her home in Barkingside in the early hours of yesterday morning.
The woman, thought to be 86, had left a hob on and fallen asleep at home in Walnut Close.
Police officers smelled smoke and raised the alarm with Ilford fire station.
Officers arrived around 12.30am and had to break down the door to get the woman out.
Crew manager Dave Weighhill, from Ilford fire station, said: “She was under the influence of alcohol and had taken in a bit of smoke.
You may also want to watch:
“The ambulance service checked her but she was fine.”
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 5 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 6 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 7 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Plot holders 'not convinced' by reassurances over allotments takeover plan
- 10 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle