Elderly woman rescued from cooker fire in Barkingside
An elderly woman was rescued from a fire at her home in Barkingside in the early hours of yesterday morning.
The woman, thought to be 86, had left a hob on and fallen asleep at home in Walnut Close.
Police officers smelled smoke and raised the alarm with Ilford fire station.
Officers arrived around 12.30am and had to break down the door to get the woman out.
Crew manager Dave Weighhill, from Ilford fire station, said: “She was under the influence of alcohol and had taken in a bit of smoke.
You may also want to watch:
“The ambulance service checked her but she was fine.”
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 5 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 6 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 7 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 8 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Man jailed after gun and cocaine worth £1m found at Ilford home